On Sunday, a fantastic lady brought the cutest pin cushion cupcake that her lovely daughter Leah had made. She had the idea that the women in our church would love to have a mother/ daughter activity where we make a bunch of them! The only problem is that our budget is rather limited so we would need to use different supplies than Leah had.
I thought my readers might like to make these as well, so here is my Fancy Schmancy version of Leah's charming cupcake pin cushion using different supplies. Thanks for the inspiration Leah!
So, check this cupcake pin cushion out!!
Too cute, right? Here's what you'll need to make your cupcake pin cushion:
1. 2- 3.5" X 20" strips of Felt, Fleece, Minky or other thick fabric in coordinating colors (Some fabrics are thicker than others so you may prefer different lengths, but I found 20" to work well with most anything.)
2. Needle and Thread
3. 1.5" wide Trim or ribbon (give or take 10 inches: enough to wrap around your cupcake)
4. A circle of your fabric that is about an inch wider than your cupcake. I just freehand this and it does not need to be perfect.
5. Hot glue gun and all-purpose glue sticks
6. Lighter, matches, wood burning tool, etc. to heat seal the ends of your ribbon
7. Extra fabric, fleece, cotton balls, stuffing, etc to stuff in your cupcake
8. Any trimmings, or bling. Don't forget a cherry on top!!
Start by folding your fabric strips in half length wise and lay one on top of the other:
Begin rolling your fabric in a not too tight and not too loose circle:
Continue to roll through the end of your fabric strips:
Hold your cupcake in one hand and then insert your fingers in the under side of your cupcake and push the layers up until you like the shape:
Sew stitches all the way through the layers of your cupcake. This will ensure that it does not come apart. Do this several times from different angles, making sure that all layers have thread through them:
Next, you will want to stuff scraps of fabric, cotton, filler, etc. under your cupcake to make certain that it has some stability. I used some scrap fleece that I had:
Just fold/ roll your scrap fabric (etc) and stuff it underneath your cupcake:
Next, set your cupcake in the center of your circle of fabric. Start hot gluing the edge of your circle in small segments:
Press the glued edge to your cupcake:
Continue to glue the edge of your circle to your cupcake until....
Next, take your 1.5" ribbon or trim and measure around your cupcake, making it overlap slightly and cut. Take your matches, lighter, wood burner, etc and heat seal both cut ends:
Hot glue your trim/ ribbon along the bottom edge of your cupcake, then glue the top edge down.
Add some trims, sprinkles (sewing pins), bling, a cherry on top and VOILA! A charming cupcake that any sewing fan will think super sweet!
They were so much fun that I made a few more:
And one more view of the original:
I hope you enjoyed my cupcake pin cushion tutorial! I hope to see your Fancy Schmancy cupcakes!!
BTW, to see tutorials for fabric flowers, a fabric flower bouquet and a crown tutorials please visit my shop
Do you like it? Feel free to....